Churches in Trani
I t was built in 1503 in time of plague in honor of St. Sebastian, whose statue can be seen still today in the niche allocated to the prospectus, on the ruins of the former church of St. Salvatore. This holy building was started thanks to Giuliano Gradenico, the third governor of Trani on behalf of the Serenissima Republic of Venice when the city was given in pledge by the King of Naples until payment of war debts. In memory of the governor remains nowadays a standing stone lion on the stairway and the lunette with inscription on the walls of the former monastery. The octagonal shape interior retains some paintings depicting St. Francesco Saverio and St. Tommaso d’Acquino.
- Piazza Gradenigo - Trani
Built in the early decades of the twelfth century this church is one of the oldest chapels with one dome in the region. His first name was St. Basil and the mass was celebrated by monks in ancient greek rite. The church plan on the model those Basilian, is in Greek cross shape with three aisles divided by four pillars and ending with small apsis. The dome rises in the middle of the nave supported by four massive central columns. It has hemispherical-shape inside and a pyramid coverage made of pieces of stone outside. All columns come from other buildings. For example, notice the first column on the right on which is engraved a milestone of the Via Traiana with an inscription on Trajan the Emperor Constantine. The capitals are too large compared with the structure of the church and are of Byzantine style. The actual façade, realized in indefinable era, did not keep other original elements except for the two manufactured windows.
- Daily: orari di culto
- Via Mario Pagano - Trani
It was one of four synagogues of the city of Trani. In order to confirm this statement there are the main entrances set to the east and a Hebrew inscription still preserved inside. Nearby there stood the house of the rabbi, better known as ‘home Ciardi’ whose two-light window was rebuilt in the lobby of Vischi’s building - the library's former headquarters - after the collapse of the building. In the XIV century all the synagogues were turned into Christian churches. The current church of St. Anne was devoted to the Saints Quirico and Giovita. Inside the building are preserved paintings of great cultural interest with scenes from the Old Testament. In recent years it has been expressed the wish to restore the church as a center of Jewish culture.
Currently is not open to the public.
- Via La Giudea - Trani
Chiesa Santa Chiara
Built at the end of 1300 the church has undergone various renovations but despite all the façade has still keeps its original beauty enhanced by the sober linear rustic ashlar in a particular way and a Baroque interior.
Worthy of note are the wooden crucifix of the XVI century and the altar in polychrome marble carved and inlaid as well as a painting of Our Lady of the Graces by the Neapolitan painter Fabrizio Santafede of 1590. Next to the XIV century church stands the former namesake monastery seat of a Benedictine community. Among the most remarkable architectural features there are the portal and the richly carved window above it.
This church was named after Santa Chiara because it housed the Franciscan Sisters up to 1599 inside the adjacent monastery. Then the Benedictines settled there giving origin to the name of St. Agnes and St. Paul. Today it houses a school.
- Via Pedaggio Santa Chiara - Trani
Chiesa Santa Teresa
It was built between 1754 and 1768 on the site of the demolished church of San Marco, incorporating part of it which still serves as a vestry. It was entrusted to Teresiani that were previously in the convent of St. Maria del Soccorso outside the city walls. The adjacent building was given by the municipality to the friars because they did a convent. The building's façade is divided by a highly overhanging ledge, the lower one opens on two levels with three arches and three windows, while the upper curves the lines of his profile giving rise to elegant side volture and a central niche which houses the statue of St. Teresa by the sculptor Giuseppe Bassi.
The church has an octagonal plan with a dome. Among the paintings are worth mentioning the works by Giambattista Calò depicting the ‘Doubt of St. Joseph and Our Lady in Glory’ and a eighteenth century reliquary bust of St. Joseph by an unknown artist. The church of St. Teresa is the best fine example of a baroque building that the city of Trani boasts. From this church starts the Our Lady of Sorrows’s procession of the Good Friday night.
- Daily: orari di culto
- Piazza Sedile San Marco - Trani
Monastero Santa Maria di Colonna
It was founded in the early eleventh century by the norman Count of Trani. It was assigned to the Benedictine monks who were troubled by constant attacks of Saracen pirates, who destroyed the walls of the monastery several times. In 1427 the Benedictine monks abandoned it and were replaced by the Franciscans friars who stayed there until 1867 protected by the dukes of Andria occupying a part of their monastery enjoying it as a residence by the sea. The main façade features decorative elements typical of the Romanesque architecture: the rose window, a beautiful arch worked and supported by pillars, the architrave of fine workmanship coming from a pagan monument and a series of suspended arches of the cusp. The interior is divided into aisles and preserves a wooden crucifix from the XV century outraged by Turkish pirates and a precious high altar given by the Grand Duke of Tuscany in return of the relics of St. Stephen who is worshiped here.
Currently the monastery is used for cultural activities and the church opened for worship has become home to the diocesan youth ministry.
- Daily: 08.00 20.00
- Piazzale S. M. di Colonna - Trani
Sinagoga S.M. Scolanova
The church was built in the ancient Jewish quarter during the thirteenth century. It was one of the four synagogues of the city. After the expulsion of Jews -occurred in the sixteenth century- it became a church under the name of Santa Maria di Scolanova. Today can be reached via an external staircase adjoining the western façade of the building that is built entirely of limestone with a single portal and four arched mullioned windows, is overlooked by a belfry in turn surmounted by a pediment on which stands a wrought iron Star of David. The plant has a Latin cross base with a single nave covered by cross vaults. Inside it preserves a Byzantine painting of the Madonna of the Martyrs protector of sailors. The main façade that opens up on via Scolanova impresses with the severe simplicity of its structure. Today belongs to the Jewish community in town.
- Saturday and Sunday: 09.30-12.30 17.00-20.00
- Via Scolanova - Trani