You are in: Home >> Highlights >> Churches in Trani
Versione Italiana English Version

Churches in Trani

Results found: 17
Page 1 of 2
First - <<< - 1 - 2 - >>> -  Last
Trani

Cattedrale S. Nicola Pellegrino

Cattedrale S. Nicola Pellegrino - Trani

Click on a picture to see it full screen

The Cathedral of Trani - also known as the Cathedral of Trani, and sometimes as the Cathedral of San Nicholas the Pilgrim - is the most prestigious building in the city of Puglia. This is an example of Apulian Romanesque architecture. Although the cathedral is sacred to the Virgin Mary, its construction is related to the events of San Nicholas the Pilgrim, which took place during the period of the Norman domination. It was made using the material of calcareous tufa typical of the area: it is the Trani stone extracted from quarries in the city, characterized by a very light pink color, almost white. The church is distinguished by its striking transept and the use of the pointed arch in the passage beneath the belfry, a phenomenon not very common in Romanesque architecture.


  • Opening hours
    Daily: 08,30-12,30 15,30-18,30
    Sunday: 08,30-12,30 16.00-18,30
  • Address Piazza Duomo - Trani
  • E-Telefono
    • 0883/494210

Chiesa Beata Vergine del Carmine

Chiesa Beata Vergine del Carmine - Trani

Click on a picture to see it full screen

In 1600 to the convent of San Giovanni was annexed the church devoted to to Our Lady of Caramen, built on the ruins of the former church of St. Giovanni della Penna. Up to 1809 there officiated the Carmelite Fathers. The bottom of the rustic ashlar facade divided by pilasters with the exception of the portal subsequently refurbished is the only part that remains from the original building.

The belfry, which rises on the right of the prospectus, with the top cell in neoclassical style, was built in 1863 and designed by Giuseppe Monetti. Inside the church it is possible to admire several paintings including the famous Lady of the Fountain dating back to the XIV century, which according to legend has arrived on the back of a big fish in Holy Saturday of 1234. Finally, the invaluable Our Lady of the Carmen and Child by Nicola Benzene dating 1774.
 

  • Opening hours
    Saturday and Sunday: 09.30-12.30 17.00-20.00 Religious cult timetable
  • Address P.zza Tiepolo - Trani

Chiesa di Ognissanti o dei Templari

Chiesa di Ognissanti o dei Templari - Trani

Click on a picture to see it full screen

According to tradition, the Templars built the church in the first half of the twelfth century in the courtyard of the Hospitality of the Templars, to which it belonged until the cancellation of  this order in 1312. It is structured in a rectangular layout divided into three naves without a transept, and has a wonderful porch in front of the entrance gate now protected and supported by columns with capitals. The main entrance which opens onto the façade is framed by a richly carved belt that depicts the moments of the Annunciation. Inside the porch there are two columns in African granite pillars and a cross-shaped pillar, each topped by capitals of different and complex decoration.  Inside is kept a painting that depicting Our lady Child, attributed to the neo-Byzantine pavement artist Rico de Candia, who worked in the sixteenth century.

In this church sworn the Norman knights of the First Crusade, led by Bohemond of Hauteville before leaving for the East.

  • Opening hours
    Saturday and Sunday: 09.30-12.30 17.00-20.00
  • Address Trani

Chiesa Miracolo Eucaristico

Chiesa Miracolo Eucaristico - Trani

Click on a picture to see it full screen

The Church of the Eucharistic Miracle is devoted to St. Salvatore commonly known as chapel of the Jew. Inside lies a painting on which it is described an Episode happened in 1452 to a Jewish named Zaches. 
She was found guilty because not believing in the Eucharist so desecrated a consecrated host in a frying pan. The sacrilege seems to occur through an unstoppable flow of blood. The episode goes back to 1452 during the reign for Ferdinand the Catholic. Until the beginning of this century there was an expiatory procession. In the same place people of Trani just wanted to build a church known as the Miracle of the Eucharist. What remains of the relic it is now kept in the church for St. Andrea.
 


  • Address Via Lagalante - Trani

Chiesa San Domenico

Chiesa San Domenico - Trani

Click on a picture to see it full screen

The church was built in 1763 and granted to the Dominican Fathers. The façade is high and harmonious; from the bottom rise four pillars that end with false decorated capitals. The church is divided into three naves by tall pillars, and there are preserved the graves of some of the greatest families of the past i.e. Filagieri, Campitelli, Antonacci, Palumbo. Furthermore it houses a Pietà of the sixteenth century considered a timid imitation of Michelangelo's model. Two paintings are worth noting: the Virgin of the Rosary of Tuscan-Umbrian school (1558) and the work of Giambattista Calò depicting the Adoration of the Shepherds.

Furthermore the International Centre for Holy Shroud granted the permanent exposition of a life-size photographic copy of the Shroud.


  • Opening hours
    Daily: orari di culto
  • Address Piazza Plebiscito - Trani

Chiesa San Francesco

Chiesa San Francesco - Trani

Click on a picture to see it full screen

Originally known as Church of SS. Trinity was built in 1176 by the abbot of the Order of the Benedictines Domenico Benincasa and consecrated in 1184 by Archbishop Bertrand. In the sixteenth century the church passed under the order of the Franciscans, who settled in the adjoining monastery. It is one of the few Romanesque churches in Puglia with aligned domes. The main façade has a simple profile and ends with a gabled pediment decorated with arches leaning on small shelves with a small belfry on the top. The interior retains its original structure with three naves divided by piers with three domes leaning on the central nave.

Of the three domes, the highest in the middle is covered by an octagonal drum decorated with arches on shelves while the other two have the usual pyramidal roof covered with chiancarelle. Outside, both sides have traces of a porch whose pillars are lost below the road surface.
 


  • Opening hours
    Saturday and Sunday: 09.30-12.30 17.00-20.00
  • Address Piazza della Libertà - Trani
  • E-Telefono
    • 0883/403706

Chiesa San Giovanni

Chiesa San Giovanni - Trani

Click on a picture to see it full screen

Built in the fifteenth century by the noblewoman Antonella Trani Palagano widow Lionello was entirely restored in 1770. The interior features a fine polychrome marble altar consecrated in 1783 as well as paintings of famous artists such as the neapolitan Filippo Falciatore with the Baptism of Jesus and Nicola  Benzene with Our Lady and Child with St. Francis.

Worth noting is the rich stucco decorations of the walls, a typical feature of the eighteenth century.
 


  • Opening hours
    Saturday and Sunday: 09.30-12.30 17.00-20.00
  • Address Via Beltrani - Trani

Chiesa San Martino

Chiesa San Martino - Trani

Click on a picture to see it full screen

The church of St. Martin appears to be brand new and little known, but it has an extreme cultural interest.

Located about two meters below ground level, has suffered for a long time, abandon and decay recently restored the church is to be open to visitors. News of its existence dates back to 1075 where it is recalled a monastery dedicated to St. Martin. The current structure seems to be very simple, it is a longitudinal body with three naves with a vaulted ceiling and cruises on pillars and columns of  stone. The sides of the aisle on the right have emerged stuck in several places - ancient elements as sarcophagi, columns, capitals and in various parts of the left aisle  there are traces of frescoes.

  • Opening hours
    Saturday and Sunday: 09.30-12.30 17.00-20.00
  • Address Via San Martino - Trani

Chiesa San Nicola Piccinino

Chiesa San Nicola Piccinino - Trani

Click on a picture to see it full screen

Also known as St. Nicolino's Church originally was the stable of a certain Sabino who moved with pity for the conditions in which it was, gave hospitality to a young man named Nicholas pilgrim on route to Rome. It was the evening of May 18, 1094. Nikola was born in Stiro ( Greece). He  had landed in Otranto and set out to go to Rome. He stopped in Trani exhausted and with the signs of beatings received. He died a few days later at the age of 18 years. The people of Trani proclaimed him saint by popular acclaim, and the Archbishop Bisanzio immediately instituted the process of canonization. The church of St. Nicolas, patron saint of the city  has façade  rebuilt later in 1660  in rustic ashlar.


  • Address Via A. Prologo - Trani

Chiesa San Rocco

Chiesa San Rocco - Trani

Click on a picture to see it full screen

It was built during a plague in 1528 by the will of Vittorio Superanzio governor of Trani as quoted by an inscription on the architrave of the main entrance. The façade is characterized by rustic ashlar and a rounded crown, above the portal has a large window. On Its right stands a bell tower whose little dome was demolished in 1910 to make way for the clock. The interior has a single aisle and preserves valuable paintings recently restored as the Massacre of the Innocents, Foot washing, Eleazar and Rebecca, Jacob and Rachel- all paintings of the Neapolitan school of the eighteenth century. The statue of St. Rocco is the work of Richard Brudaglio from Andria, 1776.


  • Opening hours
    Saturday and Sunday: 09.30-12.30 17.00-20.00
  • Address Via Santa Maria - Trani
Results found: 17
Page 1 of 2
First - <<< - 1 - 2 - >>> -  Last