You are in: Home >> Highlights >> Churches in Polignano a Mare
Versione Italiana English Version

Churches in Polignano a Mare

Results found: 8
Polignano a Mare

Abbazia San Vito

Abbazia San Vito - Polignano a Mare

Click on a picture to see it full screen

In the neighbourhood of Polignano the Abbey of Saint Vito is particulary relevant from the historical point of view and located in the homonymous sea village. Remains of the ancient roman statio were found recently during archaeological excavations carried oit around the abbey.

The 1200  abbey is today the house of many inhabitants of the village of Saint Vito.The imposing building originated around the chapel preserving the St. Vito's relics.

During the sixth and eight centuries the martyr's corpse was preserved by a group of basilian monks who lived in the underground caves of the present village. It had been donated to them by the princess of Salerno, Fiorenza.

According to a legend, the noble woman had been saved by St. Vito from drowning in the sele river. The Saint asked her to transfer his remains and the ones of the teacher Saints Modesto and Crescenza to the locus marianus. Fiorenza got a church built in the place where she had been saved.


  • Opening hours
    you can visit only during the Sunday Mass 9:00 am
  • Address Località San Vito - Polignano a Mare

Chiesa di Sant'Antonio

Chiesa di Sant'Antonio - Polignano a Mare

Click on a picture to see it full screen

On the square of Saint Anthony you may visit the homonymous church dating back to the sixteenth century, which was formerly dedicated to st. Mary of Constantinople.

The annexed monastery was transformed into a hospital in 1881 and is still the first aid place of the town. It has a nice cloister with a square garden. The three-naved interior is rich in seventeenth century canvasses, including works by Gaspar Hovic and a canvas representing a  Madonna with her child and saints by the Padovanino; in the apse, at the back of the main altar (under which there is the tomb of the family Radulovich) there is the wooden choir in venetian style (1768).


  • Opening hours
    Daily: H. 8.00-12.30/ 15.00-18.00
  • Address Piazza San Antonio - Polignano a Mare
  • E-Telefono
    • 080/4240360

Chiesa Matrice Santa Maria Assunta

Chiesa Matrice Santa Maria Assunta - Polignano a Mare

Click on a picture to see it full screen

The mother church is dedicated to Saint Mary of the Assumption, the former cathedral of Polignano. Consecrated to the holy Virgin in 1295, the church stands on the same area formerly occupied by a pagan temple. The main entrance of the building, that can be reached through the iron gate and the courtyard, is inserted in a composite-style façade, joining romanesque and baroque elements. Divided into two orders, it shows a two-light window in the upper order.

The late renaissance elegant portal is flanked by two statues located in valuable niches valorised by pillars, capitals and a linear crowning; the bell tower, more than 23 m. high, consists of three orders, each in a different style as they were added in different ages.


  • Opening hours
    From Saturday to Sunday: 9.00-22.00
  • Address Piazza San BenedettoO - Polignano a Mare
  • E-Telefono
    • 080/4240124

Chiesa Nativita'

Chiesa Nativita' - Polignano a Mare

Click on a picture to see it full screen

The church of the Nativity (1819) was built on the same place of a destroyed round tower.

The church is also known as madonna of Grottole as in may the statue of the Virgin preserved in it is taken in procession up to a place called Grottole.

In the church there is also the Madonna of the mount Carmel that in july is shown on an altar placed along Roma street.


  • Address Piazza Garibaldi - Polignano a Mare
  • E-Telefono
    • 080-4240124

Chiesa Purgatorio

Chiesa Purgatorio - Polignano a Mare

Click on a picture to see it full screen

Dating back to the 18th century, its sacristy is the former chapel of Saint Martin. It was once the burial place for the children and the poor of polignano; a trapdoor in the sacristy floor is the entrance to the ancient underground cemetery.

The concave/convex façade with a portal is divided in two orders. On the portal architrave there are skulls, bones and a hour-glass in bas-relief, the characteristic elements of the churches used as  burial places.


  • Address Via Mulini - Polignano a Mare
  • E-Telefono
    • 080-4240124

Chiesa Santi Medici

Chiesa Santi Medici - Polignano a Mare

Click on a picture to see it full screen

The church devoted to the Saints Cosmas and Damian was built in the late nineteenth century on the remains of an earlier church. Inside it there are two sculptures made by the artist Stefano da Putignano and a baroque altar, coming from the monastery of St. Benedict, founded by the abbot Peter a few years before 1000 and demolished in the early twentieth century.


  • Opening hours
    Daily: 8.00-12.30/ 15.00-18.00
  • Address Via Martiri di Dogali - Polignano a Mare
  • E-Telefono
    • 080/424 0143

Chiesa Santo Stefano

Chiesa Santo Stefano - Polignano a Mare

Click on a picture to see it full screen

The church of Santo Stefano, now desecrated and perfectly preserved, hosts exhibitions and impromptu painting and modern art by artists well known locally and nationally. It was built in the early Middle Ages on the homonymous bastion and originally the ceremonies were celebrated only for common people. Indeed, unlike the Cathedral, where the nobles and wealthy people celebrated marriage, in the little church of St. Stephen were joined in matrimony only the poor of the town.

 


  • Opening hours
    From Saturday to Sunday: H. 09.00 - 22.00
  • Address Vico Santo Stefano - Polignano a Mare

Chiesa Trinita'

Chiesa Trinita' - Polignano a Mare

Click on a picture to see it full screen

The Trinity Church was built next to an oratory dating from the seventeenth century.

 


  • Address Piazza Trinità - Polignano a Mare
Results found: 8